Hi, I'm Sash, I have IBS and depression

I have to admit, if you know me personally, you'll know that one of my most favourite and most hated place is the bathroom. 

Why, you ask? Well, again, if you personally know me, you'll know I have "issues".

But its 2021, so let's get real? 

I have IBS. Irritable Bowel Syndrome and depression which is seemingly normal in this day and age.


Simply defined by Mayoclinic,

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common disorder that affects the large intestine. Signs and symptoms include cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, and diarrhea or constipation, or both. IBS is a chronic condition that you'll need to manage long term.


It's a lot more complicated than most people think..and you don't often hear a sufferer openly speaking about their digestive systems and bowel movements. 

But again, it's 2021 and THERE IS NO SHAME ABOUT SUFFERING WITH A CONDITION. Especially an invisible illness that only fellow sufferers understand. So why am I here openly admitting that I have bathroom issues at least 3 times a week? 

Well education and awareness of course. So buckle up peeps and grab some toilet paper because I'm about to tell you the story of my temperamental gut.


I was diagnosed around 13, following a bad bout of food poisoning that led to multiple doctors visits and a few tests that would all come back clear, only to hear my doctor say that my life depended how I chose to live it. Lifestyle choices then played a massive role in my life, most of which I chose to ignore... it was fine most days until I ate too much ice cream or got really anxious about a situation. I lived with it. Popped pain meds every now and then and adjusted to using public bathrooms when I needed to. 

The real turning point came after getting my first real job ... I cramped through both interviews and made it in... A few months later I sat my boss down and explained my condition. Embarrassingly enough, he understood and closed off the topic, accepting my doctors notes and early morning messages requesting work from home days. 

The turning point really came 2 years later on an international holiday.. having my first "real almost accident" and having to stay in a hotel room by myself, on the porcelain throne while my family enjoyed the day. A few months after getting home, I embraced the depression and let it take over my life. Suffering most mornings or afternoons. Life was living through hell. With embedded depression and sadness, I spent most moments alone. Despite having a supportive partner and family.. the truth is if you don't understand the darkness it's really hard to explain. Having every fiber in your body enrobed by chains trying to drag you to your depths. But that's a story for another day. 


The anxiety, the cramps, the bowel movements which were meant to be normal like any other person eluded me. Finally after having most people in my life tell me I'm not normal. I switched stomach doctors and started real treatment. Trying a range of natural anti anxiety medication and OTC drugs before being recommended some heavier stuff. 

Happier than ever to report that after much trial and error I have somewhat control over my bowels with a combination of medication and a few lifestyle changes that mainly comprise of food adjustments. 

It's a never ending journey of ups and downs which sometimes lead to other conditions, connected or not. But truthfully, fighting every day is exhausting. 


If you have any questions on IBS and chronic stomach issues. Drop us a comment or email so we can raise some awareness. There will be several other posts around this topic, not because I enjoy airing my poopy laundry, rather sharing the journey in hopes that this reaches individuals that need the help or nudge to take control and try to get the help that they deserve. 

Comments

Popular Posts